Former Silverado Elementary School Background Information
Silverado Elementary School Property History
The Silverado Elementary School property was acquired by Orange Unified School District (District) from the Irvine Company in 1956. The District completed school improvements in 1957 and subsequently opened the Silverado Elementary School.
In July 2009, the building lease for the Silverado Branch Library, located in nearby Silverado Canyon and operated by OC Public Libraries, became month-to-month. In June 2010, the County acquired 20,000 acres of North Irvine Ranch Open Space land from the Irvine Company, including property surrounding the Silverado Elementary School site; the open space property is managed by OC Parks.
In August 2010, the District contacted the County about possible purchase of the school property for use by OC Public Libraries and OC Parks. In December 2012, after a lengthy appraisal and negotiation process, the District and County reached agreement on a price of $2,100,000. The County Board of Supervisors subsequently approved the purchase on May 14, 2014.
Highlighted Property Facts
The Silverado Elementary School property is located in unincorporated Orange County on the north side of Santiago Canyon Road southeast of its intersection with Silverado Canyon Road. The property is irregular in shape and has a total site area of 10.194 acres.
The property is designated Rural Residential on the County’s General Plan Land Use Map and is zoned A1 – General Agricultural; the property also has a land use designation of Rural Residential on the Silverado-Modjeska Specific Plan.
Making Orange County a safe, healthy, and fulfilling place to live, work, and play, today and for generations to come, by providing outstanding, cost-effective regional public services.
You Are Now Leaving the County of Orange Official Portal